Friday, April 10, 2009

Stuff in Jars (2)


Since it's the time of the year when we are likely to cook too much food and end up with leftovers, I thought this would be timely.

This is a delicious mustard that tastes nothing like store bought mustard. The process to make the actual mustard it is simple enough. It's the canning process that requires you have some experience. I usually make small jars so once it's opened I can use it up quickly. I'm not sure of the shelf life, but I would guess maybe a few weeks. This is great on that leftover Easter Ham.

Spicy Pepper Mustard


1 cup of mustard seeds
3/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons mixed peppercorns ( use black only, if that's all you have)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup honey - I like buckwheat, if I can find it
1 teaspoon sea salt

In a blender or food processor, combine mustard seeds, vinegar, peppercorns until blended. Let soak for one hour. Add water, honey and salt. Liquefy until of desired consistency, (I like mine slightly lumpy.) Makes approximately 2 cups. Process jars in canner for 5 minutes. Store in a dark place. The light will change the color.

No comments:

Post a Comment