Sunday, April 19, 2009

Chicken Tonight


Okay, I love chicken. I find it to be the most versatile meat out there. My family, on the other hand, can pretty much go without eating chicken for weeks. The girls like wings but the farmer thinks they're too much work. I do make an oven-fried chicken that they like. The rest of the chicken dishes I make they tolerate because I'm the cook. Tonight I made one of my favorite chicken dishes. This is one of the very few things I cook that require a can of soup. But it is really good and very easy.

Chicken Breasts with Creamy Mushroom Sauce

4 - 6 fresh, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
1 thinly sliced yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1/2 soup can of milk
1/2 soup can chicken stock or water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons of cold water
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350F. Place chicken breasts in parchment lined pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle onions evenly over chicken. Sprinkle mushrooms evenly over onions.

In a small bowl, mix soup, milk and chicken stock until smooth. Mix in minced garlic. Mix cornstarch in cold water until dissolved. Add to soup mixture and stir well. Pour mixture over chicken, mushrooms and onions. Bake covered for about 40 -50 minutes, until chicken is just about done. Remove cover, raise oven temperature to 375F, bake about another 20 minutes. This allows the sauce to thicken. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

I like to serve this with rice and broccoli.

Serves 4 - 6

No comments:

Post a Comment