Saturday, March 28, 2009

Stuff in Jars (1)


I love to make things and give them as gifts. Jars work great for this. I have a whole collection of things I've made that go in jars - jams, mustards, flavored oils, salsa and stuff. This recipe is for a salsa that you cheat when you make. Instead of using fresh tomatoes, I use canned. It saves all that time you have to spend peeling tomatoes and it really tastes the same in the end. Plus, if you use canned tomatoes, you can make this anytime of the year. I've made it at Christmas time and given it as gifts! But mostly I make it for myself so I have it to eat! It really is much better than salsa you buy and it isn't any harder than making spaghetti sauce.

Tomato Pineapple Salsa

1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onion
4 - 6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
5 - 7 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cans (791 ml - each) diced tomatoes
1 can (398 ml) pineapple tidbits, drained
3/4 cup whit wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Prepare canning jars, set aside. You need about 8 - 250 ml jars or equivalent

In a large pot, combine all the ingredients except the cilantro. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, stirring often for about 1 hour, until it appears to thicken. Stir in cilantro.

Fill sterilized jars, leave about 1/4 inch space at top. Makes about 8 cups.

Enjoy with your favorite chips or on burgers.

1 comment:

  1. Dakotah came home after eating this at your house one day, saying, "Get Julie's salsa recipe!!!"

    ReplyDelete