Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Successful Experiment


The farmer doesn't like food cooked in the slow cooker! I think my slow cooker stage almost got me a divorce! Everytime I made something in the slow cooker, my girls and I would think it was just fine- sometimes even fantastic. The farmer on the other hand, always said " I thought it tasted funny" When I would ask him to elaborate, he couldn't. I argued that it was all in his head and continued to cook in the slow cooker. Eventually he wouldn't even eat the food I cooked. I eventually put the slow cooker away- after a couple of fights about the cooking - and have now devised other ways to prepare my supper ahead and have it ready for the farmer to eat at his suppertime. One method I discovered is putting frozen meat in the oven and set the oven time to start the cooking before I get home. So far it has been successful. Last night's supper, was I think the most successful to date!I bought some pork rib, cut into small pieces so they were one serving each. I made up the sauce as I went along. When I came home, the aroma from the ribs had filled the kitchen and they came out perfect.

Sweet and Spicy Baked Ribs

4 - 5 pounds of pork side ribs - I use center cut- less fat
1- 350 ml jar (10 oz) of plum sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 small onion, finely minced
4 tablespoons of soya sauce
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
Montreal Steak Spice

Place ribs in a large shallow roasting pan, in a single layer, if possible, fat side up.

Sprinkle both sides with Montreal Steak Spice. In a small bowl mix all other ingredients. Stir well to help distribute the brown sugar evenly. Pour over ribs- cover them completely. Bake, covered at 275F for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. They should actually fall of the bone when they are done. Great with rice and a salad.

Serves 4 - 5

Along with my ribs, I baked rice at the same time. It came out great also.

Baked Vegetable Rice

1 1/2 cup long grain rice
1 - 796 ml can ( 28 oz) diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chicken stock or water
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, chopped onto 1/4 inch pieces
1 celery stalk
1/2 bell pepper, any color
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of dried parsley - or 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

Grease a 2 quart covered casserole with butter.
Mix all ingredients together, place in casserole. Cover with a tight fitting lid. Bake 2 - 2 1/2 hours at 275F along with the ribs.

Makes 4-6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment